Saturday, June 16, 2007

Gaining Some Balance

After ignoring the ever worsening shifting of my driveway, it finally came time to bite the bullet, and get it fixed before someone hurt themselves. It also was very bad feng shui, as all the chi was sliding away from the house.

Went with a newer process called concrete levelling, where they drill quarter-sized holes in the existing slabs, and pump a concrete mixture into the holes, lifting the slabs. Much, much cheaper than having the old driveway removed and a new one poured, but still very expensive.

Here's what it looked like before :


Notice the ramps I had to use to get into the garage



Here's how much the slabs had shifted in the center.





The step from the driveway to the front porch.


After a few days of work, here's a few after shots:



Where the driveway & garage meet....no more ramps!




The driveway looking out towards the street...you can see the holes they drilled and then filled back in.




The front step now, raised about 4 to 5 inches, and levelled out.

Feng-shui-ifed!

9 comments:

jin said...

Well... would you look at that?!
Wow! I didn't know they could raise it like that. My parents driveway has been doing the same thing (slowly) over the years. My Dad did have ONE slab replaced...oh...maybe 2 years ago (yes! costly!) and it still seems to be moving.

But I am disappointed in you! After close inspection of the shot where you can see all the holes they drilled I've decided you should have had piccies of the guys drilling them!!!

heehee :-)

Not Ashley said...

It's done by a machine, so the shots would have been rather boring.

Eye Candy boy was nowhere to be seen when the pics were being taken. However, he said hi to me today, and based on his accent, he's European, which may explain the thong. lol!

Unknown said...

LMAO @ both of you! LOL!

Jin, in need of a boy fix? ;) Careful M, she likes the ones with accents! We might find Jinnie on your doorstep soon. LOL!

Maria, I'm a dunce, I never even noticed the missing 'ramps'! LOL! But I did notice the little filled in drill holes. It looks awesome! That young dude did a great job.

Not Ashley said...

Ms hawk eye missed something????? OMG are you alright? LOL!
I'm really happy with the results, it so nice to go out there, and not see what I used to see every morning.

Jin..make sure you come in the summer, if you want to see thong boy (with accent)

jin said...

Ohh...don't tempt me!
(Yes, yes...I am a sucker for an accent.)

I think my 'other half' has lost his drive for good. :-P

Let me rephrase: M, you are probably getting more than me.
(yes, I know you're single...)

Uh-oh...sorry...TMI!
Jewels made me do it!
:-S

Not Ashley said...

jin..somehow I seriously doubt that. LOL!

Dan said...

Your driveway looks much better this way. Did the guy in the thong supervise the work? :)

Not Ashley said...

Thong boy's job is to look pretty, not to do any sort of labour. LOL!

Spoony Quine said...

` Yeah, I hate it when the chi drains in through the gaps and then percolates into the groundwater.